Motor Vehicle Accidents – Automobile Collisions Injury Attorney, White Plains
If you or a loved one was involved in a motor vehicle accident in White Plains, then you should see a doctor. Once you are safe, contact a qualified automobile collisions injury attorney in White Plains. The sooner you do this, the better. Contacting an attorney after the accident increases your chances of receiving the largest reward possible – assuming you were not responsible for the accident.
Marvin A. Cooper, P.C. aggressively represents automobile collision victims in White Plains. The attorneys at Marvin A. Cooper, P.C. know the law. They will fight for your rights to get every dollar you deserve.
Whether your injury is large or small, you should contact the office of Marvin A. Cooper, P.C. to learn about your legal rights. What seems like a small injury can become serious months or years from now.
Automobile Collisions Injury Attorney Marvin A. Cooper, P.C. represents injury victims throughout White Plains. You can get legal help dealing with:
- Emotional Trauma
- Lost Wages
- Medical & Therapy Bills
- Pain & Suffering
- Physical Disability
- Permanent Scars
- Property Damage
New York “No Fault” Insurance Law
New York is a no-fault state. This means a driver who has been injured in an accident turns to his or her own insurance company for the payment of medical expenses – regardless of who is at fault.
According to New York no fault insurance law, motorists are required to carry a minimum of $50,000 in personal injury protection (PIP) and $10,000 in property damage liability (PDL) coverage. Motorists must also carry Under Insured coverage between $25,000.00 to $50,000.00, as well as Uninsured Motorist coverage between $25,000.00 to $50,000. This insurance coverage is a 50-10-25 plan.
Automobile Collision Statistics in New York City
Every year, there are over six million car accidents in the United States. A person dies in a car crash every twelve minutes. During 2011, according to the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles, there were more than 300,000 auto accidents across the state. More than 27,000 injuries were serious or moderate. Unfortunately, more than 1,000 people lost their lives in these accidents.
Different Types of Road Collision
Motorcycle and automobile accidents are increasing every day. Some are not serious, but some of them can cause serious injury and death. Common types of vehicle accidents we see these days are:
- Head-on collisions: Head-on collisions are one of the most dangerous. The typical cause of head-on collisions is when a vehicle inadvertently comes in the path of another vehicle. This occurs on roads with no separate lanes marked for opposite directions. This type of accidents will damage the vehicle and can cause injury or death to the drivers.
- Single-vehicle collisions: This type of accident occurs when a single vehicle on the road has a collision without involving any other vehicle. The reason for this type of accident is speeding and careless driving. The reason could also be obstacles on the road.
- Rear-end collisions: This type of accident is most likely to happen when one vehicle is not moving and another vehicle hits it from the back. This is common at traffic signals or near stop signs.
- Pedestrian involved accidents: Generally, pedestrians are involved in an accident when he or she is trying to cross the road. Children and elderly people are mostly a part of this type of accident, because they fail to respond quickly to the situation.
- Collisions due to blind spots: Blind spots happen when the driver is unable to see if there is another vehicle coming. This can happen often while backing out from a parking place or while changing lanes.
- Collisions involving multiple vehicles: Such accidents usually happen on highways when there is bad weather and it becomes difficult to control the vehicles. This is also possible on busy streets with high speed limits.
How to Avoid Vehicle Accidents
There are a number of ways to reduce the risk of accidents if implemented properly. Some of them are:
- Roundabouts are an effective way of reducing the speed of traffic at intersections that in turn helps in reducing the likelihood of high speed right-angle collisions.
- There should be clear road marks and signs to improve safety at intersections.
- Before riding, check your mirror for any following vehicles and if the vehicle is close behind, you can begin to brake earlier.
- Always keep a safe following distance from the vehicle in front at all times.
- Use your brake lights if the vehicle behind is either tailgating or approaching at a high speed.
- To reduce the risk of a crash, it is better to wait until an overtaking lane becomes available, or not overtake at all.
What to Do Following an Accident
If you have been involved in any vehicle accident, it is important for you to know what to do and what not to do. Marvin A. Cooper, P.C will provide skilled and experienced legal representation to help you make the right decisions. A White Plains vehicle accident attorney can help guide you through the process. Knowing what to do after an accident can significantly improve your chance of obtaining proper compensation and recovering for your injuries.
Receiving medical attention is the first step if you or a family member suffers an injury during an accident. Exchange all necessary driver and insurance information with the other parties involved. Always remember to remain at the scene of the accident. This can prevent criminal charges. You should also call 911 to report the accident.
Create a written record of your injuries, pain, inability to sleep and other problems stemming from the accident. It helps to create a visual record of your injuries, and to have a trusted friend or medical professional take photographs of your injuries. If you are able, be sure to retain the contact information of any witnesses and take pictures of the accident and all vehicles.
If you sustain an injury due to the negligence of another, our motorcycle accident attorneys in White Plains will evaluate your case. It is essential to discuss your legal rights with your vehicle accident attorney in White Plains to find out what options are available.
Call Marvin A. Cooper, P.C. today for a FREE case consultation at 914-357-8911, 718-619-4215.
Click here to watch video about Motorcycle accident cases…
Click here to watch video about Car accident cases…
Click here to watch video about Truck accident cases…