Motorcyclists are vulnerable to suffering severe injuries during accidents. Motorcyclists are not offered the same type of protection as people who travel in automobiles such as cars or vans. However, there are ways motorcyclists can avoid accidents or reduce the severity of injuries in the event of a collision. The best way to avoid motorcycle accidents is to just simply pay attention to safety guidelines.
Below are safety tips to help motorcyclists avoid accidents:
Safety tips to Avoid Motor Cycle Accidents
1. Wear a helmet: According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, for every 100 motorcyclists killed in a crash while not wearing a helmet, 37 would have survived had they been wearing a helmet. Wearing a motorcycle helmet reduces the incidence of head injuries in accidents.
2. Follow road signals and drive carefully – especially on curves: You should strictly follow road signals and keep an eye on the road ahead. You should slow down and choose the correct lane position before encountering a curve.
3. Wear protective clothing: Wear protective clothing designed for motorcycle riders. Protect your eyes by wearing goggles.
4. Maintain your bike: Make sure the motorcycle is in good running condition before riding.
5. Know your skill levels and drive accordingly.
6. Be aware of road conditions: Always observe the condition of the road. Take note of potentially hazardous road conditions. Avoid riding in extreme weather conditions.
7. Do not drink and drive: Never drive while under influence of alcohol or drugs, as it is against the law and dangerous.
8. Avoid phone calls and texting while driving because those are big distractions.
If you or a loved one becomes a involved in a serious motor vehicle accident and wish to recover compensation for injuries, contact our experienced New York motor vehicle accident attorneys at Marvin A. Cooper P.C.